Thursday, July 23, 2015

"You are the Father"....the Godfather

From early on in our relationship, Jason and I talked about our desire to have a family. We continue to debate how many kids we ultimately want, but we figure we'll see how it goes with the first one before making any decisions! I grew up in a large, close-knit family with three siblings. All four of us have a unique set of godparents - close friends of my parents who served as a "second set" of parents often times throughout our lives. I am blessed to have my dad's best friend from high school, David, and wife Johnnie Lynn, as my godparents. They have always been actively involved in my life and I value the relationship we have to this day. My godfather was actually the officiant at our wedding, and I cherish that day more so because of that fact.





Even before learning we were pregnant, we discussed the importance of choosing godparents for our children. We have so many amazing family members and friends to choose from that the issue may be that we need multiple children so that we can use everyone we want (I can hear Jason panicking as I type this...). For me, the decision as to who to have as my first child's godmother was a no-brainer. I have been best friends with Robyn since we were infants (from cradle to grave is our friendship motto!) and I can't imagine my life without her. The two of us could not be more different from one another, but that is one of the beautiful things about our relationship. She is one of the most loving, caring and generous people that I know. She wears her heart on her sleeve and is an eternal optimist when it comes to chasing your dreams and believing in true love. I cannot wait to see her relationship with Peanut through the years - and if Peanut is a girl, she'll have the best hair on the block! 

The Preschool Years

"Great Besties Get Promoted to Godmother"
For the godfather, we chose Jason's childhood friend, Conor, who I finally got to meet at his recent wedding. He was just as kind and patient at Jason always described. There was no doubt in meeting him why the two of them were best friends, and why Jason always speaks so highly of him. Since Jason and I first started dating, I have heard countless stories of teenage debauchery (Jas was what my mom would call "a rascal"). Most of those stories involved Conor as the voice of reason....or at least the reason Jason didn't get into more trouble! We are so excited to have the same loyal guidance for our first baby.


Conor was married in May, and Robyn is getting married in October. Though we chose the two of them to be godparents, Peanut will be lucky to have four amazing people looking out for him/her throughout life. I pray Peanut develops a relationship with Robyn and Conor the way I have with David and Johnnie Lynn. What a blessing to have our two best friends fulfill this important role! 

No comments:

Post a Comment