Tuesday, July 7, 2015

A Quick Recap

At the end of May, Jas and I attended the wedding of his childhood best friend, Conor. The wedding was held in upstate New York and I was able to spend time in the town where Jason was raised. Jason was traveling that week in Brooklyn and I flew into the city to meet him there. We were able to turn the weekend into a mini-vacation and we had a great time. The night I arrived in Brooklyn, we had date night and enjoyed one of the most delicious meals I have ever had.



The following day we took the train upstate to Camp Woodhaven where the wedding would be held. It was my first time meeting Conor and he is just as great as Jason always said. His new wife, Natalie, is very sweet and the wedding was beautiful. We enjoyed spending a few nights on the campground (despite it being freezing at night!).


On Sunday after the wedding festivities, we traveled to the small town of Stony Creek where Jas was raised. Since our first date, I have heard countless stories of his time in the "Crick" and all the hell he raised with his friends. It was so neat to finally see it in person! I may be a small town southern girl, but this took small town to a new level!

Jason took me on a tour of his hometown and I loved seeing his childhood home and meeting his friends. We had decided to stay at the local hot spot, the Stony Creek Inn. Sunday at the Inn is "Mexican Night" and people come from surrounding towns to enjoy the live music. We were befriended by a biker, Patrick, and his girlfriend Kelly. The Inn is known for their cheap drinks, and Patrick was taking full advantage of this fact. At one point, he and Kelly joined us on the front porch. After looking at me intently, he declared "Hey, you're pregnant." I was taken aback to say the least and digested this news with a healthy swallow of the white wine I was drinking. Patrick went on to say that he has a "gift" for knowing these things and his girlfriend, who was equally enamored with the inexpensive adult beverages, began to sing his praises. Patrick also told me that his aunt has a gift as well - hers is for determining the gender of the unborn child. I thanked him for the information and went on to enjoy the evening. Later that night, Patrick's aunt met him at the Inn and she confirmed his suspicion that I was pregnant. After taking both of my hands into hers, she announced to the bar I was having a girl. I toasted this declaration with a freshly poured glass of Pinot Grigio...







Following our fun, if somewhat bizarre, evening in the Crick, Jason flew to Montreal for work and I returned to the office in Kansas City. That Friday, the night Jason was to fly home, I was not feeling well at work. The words of a drunk biker from New York entered my head and I decided to take a pregnancy test if only so I could enjoy a glass of wine over the weekend in peace. I was shocked - and thrilled - when the test came back positive. I went on to take another test, followed by four more, before I decided the positive result was accurate. Maybe we should consider Patrick or Kelly as names? 



That afternoon, I picked Jason up from the airport and was proud of myself for making it all the way home without spilling the beans. Once he was settled in, I gave him a wrapped gift, much to his confusion. Once he opened it, he saw onesies that I had bought, including a sleeper set that says "I Love Daddy." He was shocked to say the least, but his reaction was priceless and I loved him more in that moment than ever before.



2 comments:

  1. This has to be my favorite story ever! I am so glad you blogged this so you could share it with all of us. And I think a tribute to Kelly/Patrick is only fitting. ;-)

    ReplyDelete