Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Two Years and Counting

Today, Jason and I celebrate our second anniversary! Well, in reality, we will celebrate via phone call since he is out of town for work, but celebrate we will! It’s hard to believe it’s already been two years since we were married, and almost five years since our first date. Jason and I met when my younger sister Celeste set us up on a blind date (best thing that ever happened to Jason, I know! Just kidding…I’m the lucky one). From the second time we went out, I knew he was the one and I have never doubted that instinct. Admittedly, some of my family and friends feared I may be delusional when I decided he was the one after 16 hours of hanging out, but they say when you know…you know!
Our first picture together - Taken at Mellisa's Birthday Bonfire, January 2011
I was 25 when we first went out, somewhat past of my prime according to old Southern tradition that likes a woman married and pregnant by the time she’s 22. Though my sister set us up, if you ask my grandma she will take full credit for our relationship as she had been praying “forever” for me to find my Prince Charming. She was vocal about her fear that, at the tender age of 25, it was possible that I would never find anyone, especially given the fact that I don’t cook and my eggs were likely in the process of decaying (a theory I’m glad we have since disproved!). But once I met Jason and introduced him to everyone, he was immediately welcomed as a member of the family. Anyone who knows me understands how important my family is to me and I can’t imagine being married to someone who didn’t want to be included in the fold. We’re big in numbers and personality - we’re loud, sometimes obnoxious, often opinionated and always immersed in each other’s lives. We love and support one another and remain close despite the distance that separates us. Who wouldn’t want to be a part of that nonstop fun? I think my family was a lot for Jason in the beginning (and probably still is from time to time) but he has found his place and I know he loves my family as his own.

Some of the Denmark/Richards clan at the wedding

The siblings and spouses - we are only missing Sabrina! 
For me, meeting the future in-laws was a much less daunting prospect than it was for Jason. For starters, there aren’t that many of them. While Jas had to deal with a myriad of aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, and godparents, I had a small group of people to impress. Southern charm is sure to work on a small crowd at least initially, so I was confident in my ability to win them over. Second, they are very laid back and easygoing. My family is known to be a little “Type A” to say the least and his family is more relaxed so the balance has been nice. Little did I know that they would steal a piece of my heart the same way Jason did. His dad and step-mom, Bill and Trudy, are two of my favorite people in the world. They treat me as a daughter and friend, always available to lend support and encouragement as needed.  They are also quick to take my side when it comes to giving Jason a hard time, and that’s always entertaining (funny for me, probably annoying for Jason!) Jason’s step-mother who raised him, Mary, is also amazing and we have a very good relationship with one another. She was incredible during wedding planning and she made my wedding dress using my mom’s wedding dress. She also made a christening gown out of the lace from my mom’s dress so we have Peanut’s baptism outfit already picked out! Jas also has a brother and two younger sisters who are amazing and I thank God every day for allowing me to be a part of their family.  What the Whittaker clan lacks in numbers they make up for in heart and personality. Between both of our families, we are excited for Peanut to have so many people that care about her and have her back!

My father-in-law Bill, the sweetest man in the world! 
Trudy - one of my favorite people. Who's jealous that my mother-in-law will go shot for shot?! 

Mary - the wonderful woman who made my wedding dress and included my parents in the process 
As lucky as Jason and I are to have good relationships with our in-laws, I am most blessed by my relationship with him. He is my best friend and I can’t imagine spending my life with anyone else. He loves me like no one else – he always has my back and puts me on a pedestal while still calling me on my BS (not always fun, but he’s not afraid to hurt my feelings since I tend to bounce back fairly quickly. These days, I can’t stay mad if food is involved so he’s in the clear). He’s funny and smart and sincere and I love the way he takes care of me. I know he will make an amazing Daddy to our little Peanut and I can’t wait to see him in his new role. I don’t know if I tell him enough how much I appreciate everything he does for me and our family but I hope he knows how lucky I am to be his wife. So I’m raising my frosted mug of non-alcoholic beer in honor of my husband, my best friend, my baby-daddy – Jason, I love you and can’t wait for the next year of our lives together! 

2 comments:

  1. You are too cute! I love this whole post but especially the thought of you not being married at 25! Gasp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Renee! I was definitely a few years behind if you ask Munca. Good thing I love her! Can't wait to see you this weekend!

      Delete