Thursday, December 28, 2017

Shutting Down 2017

I can't believe that 2017 is almost over. That means we have been in KC almost 5 years, we have been married 4 years, and we have an almost 2 year old! This year has been a wild one, wonderful in the best ways and terrible only some of the time, which makes us luckier than most I know. December in particular was a joyful, and busy, and stressful time. I felt like it deserved it's own post, so here is a recap of our month. 

12/10/17 - Jason's birthday and one of my favorite days of the year. I arranged for a weekend getaway to the historic town of Weston, MO. We enjoyed a baby free night at a rustic B&B, complete with too much wine, lots of tasty food, a dip in the hot tub and a dance with the bartender of a honky tonk (that was me, not Jason). 



12/14/17 - This is what it looks like when your toddler insists on picking out her own clothes. Yes, that’s a raincoat. And yes, she is rocking boots with sweat pants. Under said sweatpants are blue bloomers and she has two different colored socks on. I told her she looked great and she was clearly very proud of herself! 


12/17/17 - Jas left to travel to VA, so Hadley and I visited a new church at the invite of a coworker. I'll admit it, I rode a mom high that day. We received several compliments on Hadley's behavior and good manners at church adn the store and I was feeling good. My confidence waned a bit when she cried while wearing pull ups, but I felt better again once she finally went potty before bedtime. I rode the high through the tear free morning, until the moment we were heading out the door and the dog tried to steal her cereal. Hadley looked right at Gracen and, without batting an eyelash, she called her a dick. Still waiting on my Mom of the Year Award to arrive...


12/22/17 - 7 years ago on this date, I went on a blind date. Set up by my little sister, I went thanks to the "gentle" urging of my mom who (truthfully) declared, "You're broke and it's a free meal with a nice guy." Little did I know, that funny guy (who was in fact nice and pretty cute) would quickly become my person. And that person would become my best friend, partner in crime and, eventually, my husband. Then that amazing man became the father of our daughter and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't thank God for the gifts in my life. Jason, thank you for being my person. And to Hadley, thank you for making me who I am. You will be two years old exactly one month from today and that is something I can't believe!



12/23/17 - Jason and I took the baby to Crown Center to visit Santa. That plan quickly backfired at the site of a 2.5 hour line, so instead we shopped and then ate lunch at Fritz's. This local legend is a fun experience where you call in your order from a phone on the table and your food is delivered via train. The food was just okay, but the experience was fun! 




12/24/17 - Christmas Eve we unintentionally visited a new church thanks to a miscommunication with my sister. But, per tradition, we all met at Waffle House and the girls couldn't have been cuter in their matching outfits. 




12/24/17 - A White Christmas! When I dreamed of a White Christmas, I was thinking more along the lines of a nice Sauvignon Blanc, but Hadley enjoyed the snow. 



Dear Santa, 

I know I'm a little late to the game, but you should know I have intense stranger danger these days, and honestly, you're a bearded old man I don't know, so you shouldn't be offended that I didn't want to meet you in person. That said, I still tried about 56% of the time to be good. The other 44%, I wasn't even that bad - I just refused to listen, or sit on the potty or I wasn't sweet or I threw a tantrum for no reason. You know my parents (i.e. my dad) so clearly I came by some of that naughty behavior nautrally. But I am excited to see what all the fuss is about so if you're in the neighborhood tonight, I'd love for you to stop in and leave some goodies. I promise to open them first thing in the morning (probably after second breakfast if I'm being honest). I'm not too particular since my interests change everyday, but I know my parents could use some booze. You know, to deal with the 44%? Thanks in advance for taking this last minute request and I'll promise to consider sitting with you next year...and will likely melt down accordingly. Merry Christmas and give Rudolph a kiss from me! 

Love,
Hadley 



12/25/17 - Happy Birthday Jesus! What a magical Christmas it is when experienced through the eyes of a child. 


12/26/17 - We enjoyed one last day at home before getting back to our routine and I took the day to see how Hadley would do wearing her new "big girl panties." Despite pooping on the floor once, the rest of the day was a success and she stayed dry throughout her nap. I think she may only try to potty so that she can earn an M&M, but I'm not going to complain. Operation No More Diapers has started and I am hoping we are getting closer to the days we can stop giving a third of our paycheck to Pampers. 




12/27/17 - Hadley was sent back to school so Jason and I could enjoy date day. In true tired Mama fashion, I wore sweats and no makeup. We ignored the laundry and the dishes and enjoyed a boozy lunch and an afternoon movie. It was perfect! 



No comments:

Post a Comment