Tuesday, May 31, 2016

A Little Bit of Perspective

Last week was a terrible week. From Monday morning, through late Wednesday it felt like everything that could go wrong, did. From a disappointment at work and post-shots fevers, to insurance issues following a fender bender, I was struggling to get make it through Monday. Then on Tuesday we learned that our landlord - who had previously denied this - wishes to list our house and he gave us a month's notice to move. We have lived in the same house since moving here 3.5 years ago and we love the area where we are. The house is a bit dated, and there's a lot that could be done to spruce the place up, but it is roomy and we have enjoyed making it our own. And, best of all, the landlord never raised our rent (which helps to explain why we haven't considered moving to date). By mid-week my anxiety level was reaching dangerous levels and, unfortunately, my emotions got the better of me more than once (sorry Jason!)

By Thursday I was counting the minutes to the end of the week and looking forward to a long weekend (even one undoubtedly filled with house hunting, cleaning and starting a new to-do list!) Much to my surprise I received a special delivery to my office. One of my best friends, Mellisa, sent me a beautiful bouquet of flowers and, in an instant, my week turned around. Thanks to her sweet card she gave me a little bit of perspective and I was able to take a step back from the "woe is me" attitude I had adopted and see things with a bit more clarity. Yes, it was a difficult week. Many tears were shed out of disappointment, frustration and anxiety. But with her words, Mellisa reminded me that I have more strength than I sometimes recognize, and God will always present a window when a door is closed. It was just what I needed to snap back into reality and she reminded me to be grateful for the amazing life that I have. Do I wish the week had gone differently? Absolutely. But now, I am ready for the next steps and I'm looking forward to what the future may hold - professionally, personally, and physically. Looks like I owe Mellisa more than a thank you....


This morning as I was writing this post, I realized that it is the last day of May. Then I looked back in the multiple albums on my phone and confirmed what I thought...it was this day one year ago that I learned I was pregnant. Jas was in Canada and I took a pregnancy test (several if I'm being honest) in a Target bathroom over my lunch break (if it sounds less than glamorous, that's because it was! Nothing like crying tears of shock and joy alone in a public restroom). I cannot believe that it has been a year, as many days it feels like I just found out we were going to have a baby. A year later, I have a happy, healthy four month old who is just about the sweetest and easiest baby in the world. Even with the current frustration and stress we are dealing with as a family, it's hard to imagine things could be better!



2 comments:

  1. Sweet Lissa! I'm so sorry you had a rough week! Everything will work out just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee! I'm feeling a bit better this week so here's to whatever comes next! Miss you!

      Delete