Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Member Spotlight at 37 Weeks

This month is flying by and time quickly got away from me. I realized I hadn't provided a 37 Week update (we are actually 38 weeks now, but that update will come later this week!). On the 12th, we were 37 weeks and officially considered "full-term" - which is crazy to think about!

At 37 weeks, Peanut:
-          Is likely around 6 lbs. and 19 inches long (though I’d be okay if she doesn’t get any bigger!)
-          Is about the size of a honeydew melon or a skunk!
-          Has developed her full set of reflexes
-          Continues to inhale and exhale amniotic fluid to prepare her lungs for breathing
-          Is a mover and a shaker – often causing some discomfort for her Mama as she is clearly growing too large for her space!

At 37 weeks, Mama:
-          Continues to feel really good overall, despite some queasiness
-          Gets tired and sore at night, but is still maintaining a workout schedule of 3 days a week for now
-          Isn’t sleeping through the night anymore, but is still stocking up on rest while she can
-          Continues to nest and get things ready at the house (with a lot of help from Jason!) 


The coolest thing to happen during our 37th week was being recognized as the "Member Spotlight" at Cerner's gym for the month of January. At the beginning of 2014, I started working out regularly at the gym on campus. It's free, convenient and offers classes both during the day and after work - quickly taking away every excuse I previously had to never work out. I quickly saw changes in the scale, my body, and my overall mood and emotional well being. By April, I was 5 lbs shy of my goal weight and feeling much better day to day. The following month I learned I was pregnant and I was determined to maintain my workout schedule as long as possible in hopes of having a healthy pregnancy.

Through my sixth month, I was able to maintain my pre-pregnancy workout schedule of 4-5 days a week. At the beginning December, I scaled back to three days a week of classes, often walking one or two more days if I was feeling up to it. Most weeks, I take Zumba twice a week and a Pound class. I had been taking yoga and a strength training class as well, but those of those have been put on hold until post-baby. I am continuing three classes a week as we speak, but I will admit I am looking less than graceful and feel it a lot more the next day! I credit exercise with helping me to combat so many of the pregnancy symptoms you hear women complain about - fatigue, body aches and excessive weight gain. Don't get me wrong - I'm up about 20 lbs, I could take a nap every day at 2:00 and I feel pretty uncomfortable most nights, but I know these things would be much worse if I hadn't been taking care of myself the past several months.

My Zumba teacher, Christa, approached me in December and asked if I would consider being the "Member Spotlight" for January. All I had to do was answer a set of questions and take a picture, so I figured I couldn't say no. Christa was sweet and told me she thought I would inspire other pregnant women at Cerner to continue working out during pregnancy. I'm not sure that will be the case, but I was honored to be recognized and, I have to admit, it's cool to see my picture and story displayed in the gym.


1 comment:

  1. Looking so cute Mama!! You will be so grateful to have worked out these past nine months post-pregnancy!!

    ReplyDelete